Tuesday, November 19, 2019

ALIST Spotlight- Amy D'Amico MCESC Learning Center West

Earlier this month we discussed Core Words and how they can be a great place to start when facilitating the use of language in the classroom. So we thought this would be the perfect time to shine our ALIST Spotlight on Amy D'Amico at Montgomery County ESC Learning Center West who loves to use core words with her students.


Amy shares "I have known about core vocabulary for years but I have been unsure how to implement the strategy with my students because of the nature of my caseload. Most of my students have AAC systems but often there are multiple types of AAC systems with different symbol sets in one classroom and often I have students at various levels of language development in a single classroom. This is quite challenging and overwhelming. Focusing on core vocabulary has helped simplify how I provide speech services. I now focus more on teaching language and language function than teaching how to locate fringe vocabulary on all the different devices. It has also improved self-advocacy because if I can teach them to say "Stop", "Go away", "I like that" or "I don't want that", they will have more control over their lives.

Here are some great pictures of Amy in action using core word supports with her students:






Keep up the great work, Amy! Your students are lucky to have you and it is great to see how you are helping them to develop their functional communication using core words!


For more information on using core words in the classroom, check out our previous post:

No comments:

Post a Comment